There are many reasons it’s a good idea to have an online business, some of which are personal, but many of which apply to almost anyone. I’ve compiled a list of my top 5 reasons for choosing to operate an online business as opposed to an offline, traditional brick and mortar business.
1. Start-up costs are usually pretty minimal, making an online business a low-risk opportunity with the potential for very high profits. Most people already have a computer and internet access which are two of the biggest expenses in most cases. Now, if you plan on selling products, you may have some additional start-up costs associated with that. However, there are ways to even make this less of an expense than if you were opening up a traditional store. women power
2. Online businesses are “open” 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They operate while you are sleeping, while you are on vacation, and while you are sick. This gives you many more opportunities to make sales than you would have in a traditional brick and mortar business where customers can only purchase from you when you are open.
3. The world is your customer base. An offline business usually only caters to customers in your town or possibly region. But an online business can potentially attract customers from around the world. This increase in potential customers means you have the opportunity to sell more than you ever dreamed possible.
4. You can start an online business part-time while continuing to work at your day job. This makes the risk even less. Generally most offline businesses require you to be present day in and day out to meet with and assist customers, which means keeping your day job may be next to impossible. But in an online business where most transactions are conducted via email, you can keep working your day job while pushing the internet business during your off hours.
5. There is an extraordinary amount of free or inexpensive help available to you on the internet. Help can consist of tutorials, forums, blogs, courses, ebooks, and other formats written by experts who know how to help you succeed. One way to receive this kind of help is to join an organization such as the , an inexpensive membership site that offers tons of advice, motivation, and networking opportunities for women who want to start or grow their internet businesses.
In a tough economy, many internet businesses are still thriving. Whether you want some part-time extra money or you want to get rich or anything in between, starting an online business can be a great way to achieve your goals.